Saturday, October 13, 2012

SECOND DAY of actually working on the little guy.

WOW - Talk about an ADHD'ers worst nightmare.  I have a tendency to go in a few directions at once every now and then.  This project only magnifies that little problem.  There are SO many things to work on, choosing what to do next proves difficult as I wait for freshly glued assemblies to dry.

Here is what I got into today - 

Test fit of the main Leg structure- again - blessed are the brazing rods !  They make alignment easy and spot on.


Glued up and clamped.  Not sure if this is a blog about building an R2 unit, or showing off my collection of Quick-Grip clamps....  All of the inner surfaces that need to be glued were prepped with 50 grit sandpaper, purple primer and then PVC Cement.  50 grit sandpaper is the stuff that you wipe over the surface with the delicacy of wiping something from your eyelid, yet it gouges the surface as though you raked a 15 lb. axe across it.  Good stuff.


More Clampity goodness.  The ABS cement cures rather quickly, but I let the pieces sit in this state for a couple of hours, just to make sure they will stay in place.


Did someone ask for more CLAMPS !??!?!


Finishing off the center foot.  If I actually measured the bolt length I needed BEFORE I went to the hardware store, I would not have to cut off the ends..... (Never was much for planning ahead)


Bolts cut with a Dremel Cutoff wheel.  Lots of sparks, hot nubbins and bolt pieces falling on my sandal-clad feet.  Remember: always wear the correct safety gear, not what Scott is wearing.  Nylon center lock-nuts used.  Final cover was sealed with PVC Cement.  This piece is ready for a skinnin' ! 


Below is the 2012 Poster Boy for ADHD.  Please donate generously.

Now that I have the parts coming together, I cant stop dry-fitting all of the greebles and detail pieces.  I put something together and just sit there and stare at it for 10 - 15 minutes.  I then take the assembly apart, try to think of what to do next,  and put it back together again.  I have barely started, and this is already an extremely rewarding project.


Dry-fit leg assembly.  See - can't take your eyes off of it - huh ?


Another angle - another 15 minutes......


You can even look at the over-exposed version for at least 10 minutes.


Some of the more iconic pieces arrived this past week.  The stuff that makes R2, R2 (Center Vents and Arms) - LOVING it.


And if all of that was not enough - here is the lightshow:  Sorry about the audio - the TV was on, and apparently VERY close.  There are a good number of videos of the dome lights on the internets, but they do no justice of this little wonder in person.  The show is amazing.


More work tomorrow.  I wish I knew what I was going to get into.... only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment