Sunday, October 28, 2012

DAY 5 - Things keep rolling along.

This is my first actual work done on two consecutive days.  Being busy at work is a very good thing, but it sometimes only allows me a single day to myself during the week.  Laundry and rest usually eat up what precious time off I have off, but I actually got to work on R2 for two days.

More work on the feet and legs.  The foot shells were sanded and are ready for 1 or two more coats of bondo before they are finished.  One of these days, I will actually take a picture of the shells again.

I tested the Pittman dome drive motor, and it works like a champ.  Soon I will tear down the Rockler lazy susan bearing and mount it to the body.

I also tested my foot drive motors today - YIPPEEEE ! - they work, and are whisper quiet.  Chain drive, as the belt drive wheels and hubs are becoming more difficult to find.

Specs:

24 Volt 100 Watt Electric Scooter Motor
24VDC 100W electric scooter motor. Powerful four brush permanent magnet electric motor design with 100% ball bearing construction. Includes 9 tooth sprocket for #25 chain. 12" long power leads with terminal connectors. Shaft rotation reversible by reversing power leads. Dimensions: 2-5/8" wide x 3-7/8" long excluding shaft, 4-7/8" long including shaft.
Item # MOT-E100

 Here is an image of what they look like.





On to the skinning of the lower ankles.  I used my trusty Dremel to sheer off the ends of the bolts, and right before I got through the second to last one.... pop, pop, fizzle... pop.  With a little puff of smoke, my Dremel was dead.  I am not exactly sure why, as I was not taxing it too much, and I kept checking to see if it was overheating.  Luckily, when I find a tool I like, I usually have a spare, pulled out the other Dremel and finished the job.

When the PVC legs are glued and assembled, they tend to "scrunch" where the bolts and screws are inserted.  This is, no doubt a result of over-tightening the bolts and screws.  Noobie mistakes are part of the building/learning process.   The back of the lower ankle was a little cupped, so I made a pool of two part epoxy, then laid the 1mm styrene skins on top.


This two part epoxy is great - pretty much self-leveling.  I would almost use it as a a psuedo gel-coat, but it does not sand or finish well.  The heat of the sanding process turns the epoxy into a gummy mess.  I have 501st armor stories on that subject - lots of refinishing afterwards.  Trust me - it does not end well.


Here the 1mm styrene skins are in place, taped down for a nice flush fit.


15 minutes later, we have this.  You will also notice the little under arm recessed areas skinned in the same method with the 1mm styrene.  Jean (Mom) is going to kill me for putting this on her ironing board.


Another angle - hopefully more ironing board friendly.  In my defense, the ironing board is dangerously close to my Dad's workshop.  It is the only thing in the room that doesn't have a pile of my Astromech stuff on it.  So, Mom - apologies are due.  But please realize that it is all in the name of art.


With my recent progress, I decided to throw the Feet/Motor mounts on. 


A single 1/2" bolt holds the motor mounts to the legs.  Admittedly, this is a point of concern, as there will be a good amount of stress on this joint when he is fully operational.  I will see what can be done to reinforce this area.


Knowing what you know of this build.... it is time for .... a test fit.  I cobbled together some shoulder hub pieces - so this is not a final fit, but it worked for this test.   For the uninitiated, there is no doubt that you will recognize this shape.  


Off of the bucket and standing on his own two feet !!!   What a great feeling.  


Another angle.  Even in this shell-like state, having this droid in front of you is a really satisfying experience.  I can not thank all of the members of Astromech.net enough for all of their wisdom, wit and wizardry when it comes to crafting and supplying the parts that make these builds possible.


Although this will be a fixed 3-legged droid - I have to say - the two legged stance is just really cool.  There are many moments in the movies that R2 is in this position, standing like a sentry.


One more photo before I leave you for today.  When I got home - I logged into the Astromech.net web page.  I had sent out a WTB message regarding Aluminum Shoulder to Body hubs earlier in the day - 2 minutes after I logged in tonight - a member has a set for sale.  SOLD.


Preview of things to come.... Off to another state for work this week, but a few items should be arriving.  These include:

     - Previously mentioned Shoulder Hubs
     - Aluminum (yes Virginia, Aluminum) Skins
     - DOME !!!!  I have a dome on order from Crash, but JAG was offering a slightly used one, so 
       I had to pick it up (never know when this R2 will need a friend)
     - Aluminum Dome Plate (anodized blue) - can't wait to see this on
     - Motor shaft extension
     - Universal ball casters (these are on the way from the UK, so they may not arrive this week)

So - the next post will have even more progress, and the little guy will look even more complete.  Stay tuned !









No comments:

Post a Comment