Saturday, November 10, 2012

DAY 6 & DAY 7 :

COMBO PLATTER.  I did not update the blog last week, as I did not have much to show.  So this week's post has a little work from last week and today.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3RD:

OK - so for last's weekend's adventure:  This is how my typical Saturday starts out as of late.  A trip to Astromech-Shipping-Central (aka Mom and Dad's place).   When I arrive, there are all kinds of goodies waiting for me.  Gotta keep busy at night when I am on the road.  I research a whole bunch, troll the Astromech boards, and buy stuff I need for the project.  In this particular grouping of parcels, there are packages from as far away as California, Florida, Atlanta, England, Denmark and even China.  (P.S. - mad props to Mom's new wool rug she hooked-up over the past couple of months!)


After tearing into these boxes, this is pretty much what is inside.  Of course, you will notice PSI spacers, PSI housings, a shaft extension, beefy ankles, aluminum shoulder hubs, acetyl ball bearings and omni-casters.  If you do not know what name goes with these parts... no worries, I am not sure I do either.


I cleaned out the Rockler bearing from the awful grease they use.  Grease is supposed to lubricate - the stuff they use has the consistency of peanut butter..... chunky peanut butter.   After the bearing was cleaned, I washed up the ball bearings as well.  I got a little case of cold feet with using the acetyl ball bearings, so I re-greased the Rockler and reused the metal ball bearings.  All-in-all, I am quite happy with the way it turns now, but only time will tell when I get the dome and motor mounted up.  Happy Holidays - Silver Balls !


I assembled the aluminum center vents.  In my opinion, these are one of the most prominent features of the skins - they required a little bit of sanding to fit within the surrounds, but they came out REAL pretty.  The skins are also new - Aluminum - purchased from a member on the Astromech boards.  The skins have all of the doors configured to open with sets of JAG hinges.  The fit and finish on the frame is really great.  (These were the skins that were mated with the JAG frame that I purchased a couple of weeks ago).   Not sure why the top center vent looks a little "off" - but is is nice and straight... either that, or I am a little off.


As mentioned in the previous posts, I did quite a bit of work on the feet.  After assembling a number of 501st costumes, the chore of cutting, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming comes naturally.   It is a real pain when you are actually doing it, but the results always pay off.  I am a big fan of priming the parts as I near completion.  The primer is an automotive primer/filler which is easily sandable and it hides a number of minor surface (and filler) flaws.


Here is another happy find.  Magic-Sculpt two part resin clay.  I had purchased this for use on a Clone Pilot helmet, but never got around to using it.  I decided to give it a try with the corners of the feet.  WOW - great results.  Once this stuff dries overnight, it is rock solid.  


I am not quite sure of the adhesion qualities of the Magic-Sculpt, so I have since coated the blobs with two-part epoxy.  This stuff sands like a dream - it leaves no voids, and is ready for paint after finishing.  Using his material on the corners really locked the feet together.  Prior to using this material, the shells were still a bit wobbly.



SATURDAY - NOVEMBER 10th:

Back at it.  Bummed that I have my dome on the way, and I won't see it until next week.... but I will live.  In the meantime, I worked on the pesky curved inner-foot sections.  I really liked the idea copped from another builder to use PVC pipe for this project.  I searched to find out the exact diameter of pipe to be used, but the size was not mentioned anywhere.  I used 4" diameter pipe.  Truly, the inner circumference (I think that is the correct word) was a little shy of what it needed to be.  The piece seems to level out near the bottom, so I am not sure a "perfect" fit is attainable with a round tube.

After a failed attempt at cutting the first piece, I had success on the 2nd and 3rd pieces.


Here is a photo of the Inner Circumference being a little tighter than it should be.  I contemplated heating the part to stretch it out a bit, but decided that I would just fill the gap at the end of the piece with the Magic-Sculpt.


When I cut the inserts, the long inside edge of the foot was bowed inwards a bit.  I had to shim the part to make it straight.  Thank goodness for keeping all of the extra pieces-parts from the A&A frame.  These worked wonders as filler at the bottom edge of the curve.


I filled the top gap with the Magic-Sculpt, and then ran a razor to cut off the excess.  This stuff is a dream to work with once it is mixed together.  It has the consistency of play-doh while working, and although it is difficult to smooth on like bondo, it cuts easily and cleanly with a razor blade.  It will take minimal sanding to get these ready for paint.  Inserting this pvc pipe piece further reinforced the feet.  I feel as though I could wear these as shoes.  VERY happy with the A&A foot shells.


There is a story about the Devil and best-laid plans.  A similar story is told by a dud named Murphy.  These edges were really nice, before I decided to handle the part 132 times throughout the afternoon.  So - I will have to apply some more filler to finish off the part.  The truth is, the battery boxes cover about 80% of this curve - BUT - I KNOW there are flaws, so I will, no doubt prime, sand, fill, sand, fill... until the part is to my liking.


I attached the resin half-moon details with epoxy and screws on the back of the door.  I built a little tab on the lower edge of the doors to slide into the existing opening.  Although I really liked the A&A locking door mechanism, I really wanted the half-moons to be permanently mounted on the foot shells.  I will use rare earth magnets to hold the tops of the doors in place.  Center foot looking pretty.


Another angle of the center foot shell.  Still needs a bit of finishing with Spotting and Glazing putty.  Then some sanding .... and filling ... and priming.


Air Jordan's got nothing on me.  These are the best looking set of kicks I have seen in a very long time.


Test fit time !  Set R2 on a bucket, and attached the legs with bolts and skins (with tape).  Rockler bearing is mounted, bearing gear and the KILLER dome plate from Steele are just sitting on top.


This little guy is really starting to take shape.


A little higher angle.


Full frontal.  I may cut one of the buckets down, so he stands better without looking like he is on his tippy-toes.  For now, it will do.


Aluminum Ankle cylinders.  I am still not sure why I feared the aluminum parts at the onset of this project.  The truth is, they just make sense - although they are bit more spendy than their resin counterparts, and not as readily available.  There is literally no finishing work required, and they simply fit like they are meant to be there.  Of course, all of this metal does have me a little concerned.  He has gained a bit of weight with all the bling, more than his accepted "Freshmen 10".  He may never make it out of the basement.  As a good Nerd, neither should I - but I did.


I finally got everything organized in designated bins.  I can honestly say that I have all but a few of the pieces-parts (some duplicates - as well).  These bins now hold the individual parts for the Dome, Body, Legs and Feet.  Previously, I had parts all over the place.  I am happy I took the time to get organized, as the task does not seem so daunting when there is a little structure involved.


I got Dad in on the action today as well - I gave him the templates for scratch-building the coin returns. He did a bang-up job on them.  Photos will be posted tomorrow when they are assembled and stuck on the frame.

Looking forward to finishing up the lower legs tomorrow - and due to the unexpected nice forecast, I am planning on getting a coat of primer on the legs.  (That is the plan.... it is well-laid, but ol' Mr Beelebub lurks around every corner).

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment