Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 21.1 - Not officially a "Day" of building.

I just set up my CBI (Charge Bay Indicator) and Data Logic Boards.

These boards, LED assemblies and Arduino were sourced from two members on the Astromech site.

Just have to show these things off - everybody likes the shiny-blinky stuff, right ?



For those of you who don't know - like me 3 months ago. . .

Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

Here is a basic Arduino board - these can be bought for under $20 :




Here is their website - a TON of information included here for you to read up on:

ARDUINO HOMEPAGE

The USB (or external power source) juices up the unit and allows for you to program, using "sketches" - control language that makes electronic stuff do..... stuff.  See, I still have no idea what I am talking about.

The in rails on the outer edges are various inputs and outputs for signals to control the devices (LEDs, Motors, Servos, etc).  The program code is stored on the chip and when the correct input (or just power) is supplied to the Arduino, it runs the stored code, and makes things happen.

The ultimate goal is to program one of these units to make the pie panels and doors on the dome open and shut.  I can do it.  I can do it.  I can do it.  This is a ways off, but I am looking for a used laptop to put the Arduino program on so I can play around with these units at night while on the road.




No comments:

Post a Comment