Sunday, May 26, 2013

DAY 44 - Battery Boxes and Assembly of Painted Legs

First order of business: Making better battery boxes.  The batteries were kinda strapped to some support rods within the body with the help of a velcro strap.  Ok for testing purposes, but this would not fly when R2 is laid on his back for transportation.

1" square aluminum to make the support frames for the batteries.  Anyone will tell you that the most difficult shape to make with wood (or any other material) is a square.  I cut the angles on these aluminum pieces with my compound miter saw.  I am still surprised how nicely the aluminum cuts with what you would use to cut wood.  Of course, I know I am greatly diminishing the life of my blades, but that is why they sell replacements.


Angle brackets and rivets are used to hold the boxes together.


Originally, I planned to put the brackets on the underside of the cage only.  After a little thought, I placed them on top and on bottom which made these things rock solid.  I could have put the angle braces on the inside of the aluminum tube... but that would have prompted me to use foul language.

\

Test fit with some 1/2: aluminum tubs as spacers / risers.


Looking good from here.


.... and here


Knowing that some of the detail pieces on the skins will take up space within the body, I angled off the outside edges of the mounts.  Drilled the holes for the bolts and...




You are only as good as your help.  Here Nephew Kaden gives a hand with assembly.  While I was in the workshop fabbing pieces, he sat quietly on the floor putting different pieces together.  With a little coaching, he got them in the right place.

(hoping the video gets uploaded - google blog is having troubles communicating with youtube since a recent update)




Mounted the batteries in their boxes .  A single strap of velcro is used across the top of the batteries to keep them snug in their new corral.


I drilled and countersunk the bolts for the center vents.   PRAY with me that they are in the correct place.  Prior to these being countersunk, I had some pan-head bolts holding the center vents in.  When I pulled the skins off, it broke off the data port from the left side of the frame....D'oh.  That has been epoxied back into place, and I will soon test to see if the skins fit with the center vents in place.


 Here are the legs after the paint and clear coat was allowed to dry for a week.


Closer detail of the shoulder.


From the other side.   The inside of the pockets that hold the hydraulics and buttons look really great with the bare aluminum.  The inside of the shoulder is also left bare.  Just another one of those details that may be missed by the casual observer.


Close-up of the outer ankle.


A little wider shot showing the foot with the battery box in place.


Center foot all mounted up.


Looking good from here.  I am still not 100% happy with the blue color..... It is too much on the aqua side for my taste.  You can see 4 different blue samples in this shot.

- Radar Eye
- Dual logic surround
- PSI plate (under the main eye)
- Utility arms

I like the color of the PSI plate...  I painted this about 2 months ago, and I have to try to recreate that cocktail in order to achieve the blue I am looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment