Saturday, June 1, 2013

DAY 45 - Scotty's got the Blues

With everything in a state of disassembledness, I took the time to paint my version of R2 Blue.

I started with the self-etching primer on the bare aluminum parts, followed by Rustoleum Metallic Purple, then a light coat of Dupli-Color Sonic Blue Pearl.  I then hit it with a lighter blue.... I believe it was the Light Blue Mica, and then a finish coat with the Sonic Blue Pearl.  Light coats of all these colors allowed the paint to blend and show a real depth.  I finished off with a couple of coats of clear gloss to seal the deal.

Unfortunately, most of the photos do not do the paint justice, but you will get the idea from the following snaps.  The "perfect" Blue is a subject of great debate over at Astromech.net.  As I stated before, my thoughts are that if the blue you use matches throughout your droid, I am not sure you can be all that wrong.  (He says after repainting everything he did last week)

Here is the LDP with a myriad of parts in the background.


The overhead light really shows off the depth and reflective nature of the paint job.


Close-up of a pie panel showing the speckled - metallic finish.


The following three photos illustrate just how different the paint looks depending on the light.  Here with fluorescent overhead in the workshop.  Small space, and dark walls.


Same piece near the laundry - white walls - fluorescent overhead.  Some of the purple shows through in this one.


Incandescent light near the radar eye sitting in a box.  The photos above seem to have washed out the speckled finish of the paint.


Utility arms hanging about.



It was really difficult to let the parts sit and dry.  I REALLY wanted to put them back together.  Instead, I took a couple of hours sanding the dome.  Yep - a couple of hours of sanding with 320, 400, 600 grit wet sandpaper, and a scotch-brite buffing pad.  I still have a was to go, but I am very happy with the results.

Some members leave the dome "au-natural" to show off the spin lines.  My dome had some pretty pronounced spin lines that made the dome look almost segmented.  Those spin lines are all gone now.


I cleaned up some of the openings in the top - especially the one that the periscope comes out of.  Wouldn't you know it, as I was filing away, I slipped and hit the outside of the dome.....  More sanding ensued, and I took care of my little boo-boo.  I am not going to go crazy, as I am sure the first outing R2 has will bring a number of dings and scratches.


Hopefully one of the last times R2 will be this exposed.


With all of the parts removed, this was a good opportunity to get a shot of the blue-tooth speaker that will make him talk.  The cross-members that mount the LDP and the utility arms have been removed so those pieces could be painted.  (I hope I remember where I put all those tiny, tiny screws)


Gratuitous shot of the dome electronics board.  The red switch is for the battery in the dome that powers the periscope (and eventually) the radar dish.


Still one of my favorite parts.  That is why you are seeing it again.


This is the inner dome, the only part that is pained blue on the inner dome is the surround on the rear PSI.  Of course, I marked it to paint with the opening on the outer dome... and painted too much.  I removed the extra paint and you will see the results tomorrow when he's got his head on straight.


I believe these parts are called "pocket vents".  The empty lattice is backed by a plate painted blue.  It has been painted and assembled - and the look is GOOD.


Below is the front skin standing on it's head.  The aforementioned pocket vent has it's backing plate installed.  The coin slots look a really different color than the pocket vent, but it is only the shadow on the vents causing this.


Front power coupler and coin returns installed.  The power coupler was a real treat to mask off for the paint that was applied to the outside corners, center circle and the bottom.  "Treat" meaning "I don't want to repaint those any time soon".


The rear skin (again upside down).  Power coupler and coin slots in place.


All of the skin details are head in by adhesive silicone.  Never mind paint fumes.... silicone has a NASTY odor.  I found that silicone comes out of the tube, and pretty much goes where you put it.  N need trying to make it look pretty - as these are internal parts which will rarely be seen.


Octagon port all gooped up with silicone.  Tomorrow, I will remove the clamps and tape, and put the skins on.  Hopefully, everything will fit with all of the structure that I have assembled inside the body.  Why check that first ???? That would have been smart, but I enjoy a challenge.  


Stay posted for tomorrow's episode.  I will most likely have a droid that I would take to an event.  He does not have all of the bells and whistles working, but the major part of assembly is complete.

Did you hear that ??? Jean just shrieked in joy !


No comments:

Post a Comment