Monday, August 5, 2013

Another Day Out

Another Day Out


This weekend, I took R2 to a minor league baseball game (Lake County Captains) that was having a Star Wars night.

What a great time.  I have been in the 501st for 10 years, and this is a completely different experience.  Less tactile - more responses from a larger audience.  Most people can appreciate the effort in building a true, walking, talking droid - so even if they are not the biggest Star Wars fan, seeing a working R2 unit is still impressive.  Thank all of you who helped bring me into this universe.

Here are some photos from the event.  (yes, yes, he STILL needs to be weathered.....LOL)

In the Green Room:





The Captain approves :



Our killer Leia - Lisa Ford :



Her husband, Alex in a killer 3PO :


Your's Truly :



Your's Truly doing a little maintenance on the little guy.  My dome drive shaft and booster covers got rattled senseless on the concrete during the night.  Had to stop twice to re-tighten the bolts and set screws.  I see loc-tite in my near future....



Overall it was a great experience.  I was a little concerned with my first "non-Star-Wars-fan-only" event, but I only had to shoo away a couple of gnats (brats) during a 6 hour session.  I am amazed at the battery life, as I only consumed about 20% of the available juice from the batteries.  Thaks again for all who made this possible.

Here is a link to the Photobucket album:


ScottyK Photobucket



I promise that I will get back to posting items that cover the building process, but now that he is operational, he is simply too much fun to play with and show off.

A preview of a little bling-bling for his innards:




1 comment:

  1. Good luck Edwardo ! It will be fun. I just made sure to be within 10 feet of the little guy, in case I had to pounce.

    ReplyDelete