Saturday, September 7, 2013

R2 TOUCH APP IN ACTION

In an earlier post, I showed off the R2 Touch app created by Astromech.net ubermember CuriousMarc.

Today, I finally got all of the hinges, linkages, servos and wires installed and routed in the dome. 

All I have to say is .... WOW.  What a great addition to R2's bag-o-tricks.  After taking R2 out for a few showings, it never ceases to amaze me that people actually ask, "well, what does he do ?"  (As if being fully mobile, spinning of the dome, lighting up like a Griswold Christmas tree and hoisting a lit periscope weren't enough).  Now I have another little something, something that I can show off.

Here are a few photos of the servos, hinges, linkages and overall setup.  These things are SMALL.  Tiny even, and what would seem like a little job due to the size of the pieces did not prove to be true.  Most of the assembly took place inside the dome, as I put the cart before the horse while assembling R2's noggin.  As I said before, I really had no idea that my dome was going to be this involved, so some of the installation could have been easier with a better plan in place.

All told, there are 10 panels that open on the dome.  Four on the top, and 6 additional doors of various sizes around the perimeter.

Just a few items required for this little undertaking.  In the upper right, you can see how some of the top pie panels swing open on their hinges.


A better shot of the panels open.


Here are a couple of snaps of the single servo horn, the linkage and the hinge.  Each servo is numbered to correspond with the appropriate button on the R2Touch app.




This is where my hasty assembly bit me.  The servo mounts could have (should have) been mounted with captive studs, but I bonded the inner and outer domes together too early.   Instead, I had to mount the servos and hinges with JB Weld.  Outstanding stuff.... if you can clamp it.  In lieu of a clamp, I used the next best thing - a prayer and some tape.  A couple of the servos and/or hinges did pop off upon initial use, but I was eager to see this thing work, so I did not let the adhesive sit long enough for a full cure.  Only time will tell if this adhesive works.  There is an incredible amount of torque in these micro servos.  I had a very difficult time finding the correct mounting points, as every time I tested the servo in action, it moved my hand from the position I was testing.


A view of all 4 top pie panels ready to rumble.


The "brains" of the operation.  CuriousMarc's "MarcDuino" board.  The chip in the center of the board is programmed to receive the signals via the WiFly receiver (to the lower right of the battery).  The signal from the iPod Touch is translated by the chip and tells the servos how and when to move.


A true mess, but everything is installed and working at this point.


A view of some of the tight fits required to jam all of these goodies into the dome.  Keep in mind that the hinges themselves are only about 1.5 inches wide.


Another look at the jumbled mess of wires that terminate on the MarcDuino board.  I used 10" servo wire extension cables to reach all of the motors peppered about the inside of the dome.


My best friend for today... painter's tape.  I wanted to make sure that the wires did not get caught inside of the dome while putting it on R2.  I will come up with a more .... pleasing solution in the future, but for now, it is all about testing.


And... of course a little video of the whole shebang in action.




Overall, I am extremely pleased with this addition.  I am still having a problem with the linear actuator pulling too many amps when it runs up and down.  It is still causing a brown out on the other devices in the dome.  I am bummed, because I thought I had this problem solved.  I have another plan in mind that will not require a separate battery in the dome.... more on that later.

I recently picked up a aluminum skirt, and will be receiving aluminum battery boxes this week.... so this R2 will be completely non ferrous soon.  (He was feeling a little light recently anyways)


1 comment:

  1. Edwardo -

    It is really not that difficult - just repetitive. All of the linkages are the same, it just takes finding out where they all fit (and work). I wish I could plan ahead and make it look all pretty, but I am so green at this, that I am just happy to make it work ! Good luck on your endeavors for the dome !

    ReplyDelete