Saturday, December 8, 2012

DAY 12 - Standing on all by himself

Well - today was an interesting day.  I had really wanted the option to remove the center leg so R2 could stand on 2 legs, and somehow attach or slide out the third leg for moving this little guy around.  Not to mention, he looks VERY different in two leg and three leg mode.   I researched, read a number of blogs and posts, bought a number of things that I thought would work, and finally decided that the static 3 legged mode would be best for my first outing.

My wish to have a non-automated 2-3-2 droid is above my current skill set - but it will certainly lurk in the back of my mind for the remainder of this build.

I started the day by completely disassembling the motor holders, and re-assembled them with new spacers for the motor mounts.  I also did a bit of work on the center foot, and the caster mount now fits nicely inside the center foot housing.

I have to tell you, the tolerances on these parts is TIGHT.  A bead of glue on the inside of a foot shell may throw off the entire assembly.  Sanding and fitting and sanding, and grinding and fitting and sanding are all part of this game.  This build is literally a game of fractions of an inch.  Removing 1/16" of material from a joint may result in 1/2" - 1" of variation on the back of a foot shell.  It is a tedious process of sand - assemble - critique - disassemble - sand - assemble...... you get the idea.

After a couple of hours, here are the results.  Standing proud on his own three feet.




Pink Bondo can only mean one thing.... nearing the finish coat - and on to priming and painting !  I still need to work on the position of the utility arms - that may come tomorrow.


Here is a nice side view.  I think he may need the center foot dropped another 1/2" - this will level out the back of the foot shells.


A little lower angle to show off the skirt.


Below is a photo of my totally budget solution for mounting the center ankle.  The nice think about this mount is that the aluminum L channel is drilled to accept the bolt for the skirt, so I did not have to drill additional holes in the frame - which would have required complete disassembly of the body.  Certainly not something I am looking forward to, but I suppose it will happen sooner or later.


Another angle from the front on the D.L.  The side doors on the center feet need some additional sanding to sit flush.


Steeper angle from below.  Taking this photo got a good chuckle from Dad.  I could have used a mechanic's sled for easier access.... not to mention the floor is a long way down these days.


A view from the top.  Battery boxes need to be fixed in position.  Currently, they are taped on.


Ankle Cylinders sitting on the outer legs - still need to get the aluminum shoulder hubs installed.


A closer look at the ankle cylinders.  I am waiting to receive another set of these in shiny aluminum with the corresponding aluminum spacers.


Another shot of the leg - sexy.  (Although the buttons are all jacked up, and I think the hydro is on upside-down).  Apparently, there is a builder's preference to whether the buttons go in front or in back. In the movies, these switch from front to back.  I will most likely try these two positions multiple times before finalizing my decision.


I drilled the hole into the bottom of the cylinder a little deeper to get a reveal on the leg hydraulic.  A spring has been inserted to hold the top portion up against the leg  housing.  Dang - them aluminum parts is just the bees knees.  They look great and fit without question.


I did receive a wonderful package from Al E. over at the Astromech boards this week.  A set of aluminum power couplers and aluminum holo projectors.  Probably the most expensive part(s) on the entire droid, but they are true works of art.  I will try remember to get a photo of those up in the next post. 

Tomorrow will be a BIG day.  I am planning on getting some the power and RC to the legs to see if he will actually move around.  Wish me luck.  This is something I have read up on quite a bit, but I am still scared to death about what lies ahead.  I figure I should get some of the unknowns out of the way at this stage, as I don't want to have a complete droid that looks pretty, but does not move.

Keep your ears open for expletives coming from the basement tomorrow... it could get ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment