Sunday, December 23, 2012


DAY 16 - Lots of sanding - even more dust

Here we go - time to undertake the task of cutting out the dome panels for the carbon fiber doors.

I figured I would take one last photo of the dome in good shape, in case I monkeyed it up in this little process.



The roll of tape in the photo above is for reference purposes only.  It is suggested that the area to be cut out be masked off for reference and to prevent marring of the surface should the rotary tool wander.
I find that I am better cutting things out free-hand, as I pay a whole lot more attention to where the cut is going.  Not to mention, I am not as mad when I cut into the line that I was supposed to follow.  I figure I have some acceptable skills with the Dremel with a number of costumes I have worked on over the years, so I got right to it.
For the vertical cuts, I used the Dremel Multimax tool.  Awesome piece of machinery here, I highly recommend this tool for any workshop.  The flat wood cutting blade went through the fiberglass like a hot knife through butter.... only louder, slower and more dusty.  I did use the diamond cut-off wheel for the round sections on the top and bottom of the pie panels, as the Multimax tool has some issues with cutting curves.  Like any saw blade, it tends to bind if it is cutting at an angle that it does not like.


After I cut out the first panel, I got smart and jammed the shop-vac hose into the dome.  This worked really well, keeping the dust at bay.  There was enough suction that it pulled all of the dust into the dome, and away from the area that I was cutting, which came in real handy for the next process....


With the panel openings cut, the next step was to create a lip for the panel to sit on.  I have this router attachment for the Dremel that I outfitted with a quick cut rasp.  The bottom of the rasp was even with the foot of the router attachment.  The curve of the dome allowed the rasp to cut about 1/16" of material away.

This took a steady hand, but after a while, I got to know the sound and feel of the proper depth.  Yep, sound.... the blade would labor, and the motor would bog down a bit if I was cutting too deep.  The important thing when using a rotary tool is : never forget which was the blade is rotating.  If you know that, you are much more conscious on where the blade may/will go in case of a slip.  When you work against this rotation (which wants to pull the blade OUT of whatever you are working on) you gain two benefits.  A. You are aware that the blade will jump and make you sad.  B. you tend to slow the cut down a whole bunch, and let the tool do the work.


Another photo - I think this one shows the recessed areas a little better.  I went back and hit the little shelves with all manner of material removal devices.  Sandpaper, Files, Sanding drums, Razor Blades - heck, I think I even but a few pieces off.

I only wish I would have snapped a couple of photos of the finished product, as I finished all of the inside edges to the same dimensions.  (more filing, sanding, biting, etc)


Test fit.  Looks like a winner.  The carbon fiber has a really cool reaction to the flash - the silver part of the weave really reflects the light through the resin.


SPECIAL NOTICE:  If you want to cut out the hole for the holo-projector - be VERY careful with a drill press.  Don't wait until the 4th time it binds just before the drill bit passes through the bottom, causing the piece to get stuck on the bit.  When this happens, it yanks the piece out of your hand and then slams it back into whatever finger you still have on the table.

I did this not once, but 4 times... After the first time, I figured I had a goofy angle on the piece.  After the fourth time, I thought... "Hey, maybe this is NOT the tool to use".  Forgive me, I have been hunched over a fiberglass salad-bowl for a good part of the morning.


As bad as the drill press was, the Dremel diamond cutoff wheel worked wonders on the carbon fiber.  Once the piece was rough cut, I then used the drum sander to get the edge more defined in a circular shape.  In case you have not seen them, Dremel now has a quick release chuck for the little drum sanders - no more screwing and unscrewing the arbor.  Simply push a button, putt the arbor out, and the drum falls off.  Brilliant move on Dremel's behalf.  I never used to use these drums because they were such a P.I.T.A. to change out.  Now that they are so easy to change, I feel like changing them every 3 minutes.  Again - way to go Dremel Marketing Staff ! 


After I got the hole pretty much to the correct size, I then switched over to a well used 120 grit flap wheel.  I never throw these old flap wheels away.  When I need precision, the older the wheel, the better.  It does not remove as much material as a new wheel, so it can be controlled a little better.  (As long as you don't get anxious and try to force the issue - that is when mistakes happen)

You can see the results of the drill press on my index finger.  A couple of holes never hurt anyone.  There are a few drops of my DNA inside the dome as well.   The unfortunate thing is that with this injury, I am down to typing with one finger.... haha


Test fit with the Holo-projector.  Holla !!!


Closer sans annoying tape roll.  Since it did not get used, it wanted to get some .jpeg blog-time.  


All of the pretty pieces in place.  They sit really nice, although they are resting on the bottom edge.  Eventually, they will be mounted with the same reveal around the entire perimeter.


I am ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.


One last parting shot of the entire top.  I decided to call it a day after these panels were cut out.  I felt that my confidence in my skills would lead to making mistakes on the remaining panels.


Coming soon - more of the same, except for on the side panels !




No comments:

Post a Comment