Sunday, June 2, 2013

DAY 46 - 89% there.... B+

Happy with the painting I got done yesterday, I could not wait to get the parts assembled again to see what I was in for.

First - a few shots of the skins fully adorned with all the details.  Octagon port :


A shot of the front with the coin returns.


Back side with the double coin returns on the bottom of the door.


A little closer view of the back door details.


... and the left hand side of the back door.


Teaser time - I had to get the pie panels on.  Just to see how they looked.  Mmmmmmmmm... they look yummy.


Utility arms and Large Data Port back in business.  Business must be good, as I stood up from working on the skirt, and smashed my head into one of the arms that I left open.  Note to fellow builders : never leave anything sticking out of your droid while you are working on him..... yeeeeeouch


Test fit of the front skins.  Yep - I called it yesterday, the battery boxed that I made were too big, and the front left octagon port would not fit.  A little work on the band saw, and the battery box still has it's integrity, and the octo-port fits nicely.


Battery harnesses assembled.


Test fit on the battery boxes.


What could this be ??????  A: an incredibly odd washer that I culled from Tom's never-ending collection of "things you had no idea that you would ever need".


Flip the assembly over - and you have the dome topper !  The washer and center bit are form the club, but the really strange washer to hold them all together are courtesy of Dad's washer drawer.  Thank you !


Under shoulder details installed via silicone.


Battery boxes complete with harnesses all strapped up and strapping.


And here we go ....

Dome assembly.  All of the doors are taped in, as I still have some electronic goodies and hinges to attend to before final assembly.


Side view.


Front view.  The black I used on the holo-projector is a little too glossy for my taste.  A little sanding will knock that shine right off, and add to the weathering in the process.


Just a look how the color changes when the flash is used.


A nice view of all three holo-projectors.  They change (painted/not painted) many times within the same movie - not to mention throughout the Original Trilogy.  This is the setup that I like best.  Either it is the most prominent, or it is the one I thought was cool, so I went with it.


Back side of the dome with the dome bumps and painted inner dome piece.


ICON.  If you did not know what this blog was all about - you should have a pretty good idea now.


Up and to the left.



Down and to the right.  I have a feeling I have too much shim in my center ankle.  (Don't you wish you could say that about yourself ?)  I think the center ankle is too tall, not a problem, I will remove some of the spacers to re-adjust his stance.  Perhaps that will allow me to re-align the foot drives, as they still seem to skip a bit.


Straight up Mack Daddy.


When you are Mackin' you HAVE to do it twice....


Not even sure if this angle was included, but you probably wanted to see it again anyways.


Close-up of one of the outer feet.  I still have to get the braided hoses installed.  I almost got to that tonight, but the end of the weekend (and laundry) were calling my name.


Every man loves a shoe show.


Here is where I left the little guy - complete with restraining bolt.  No doubt, he is feeling quite complete, and may want to go for a stroll now that the weather is nice.


A cool shot of the holo-projector magnifying an electronic board on the inside of the dome via the cabochon.  This will not appear when the dome is completely assembled, as the holo-projector has it's own light and a backing plate that will block the view.  Regardless - there was something very cool and very HAL about the look.


Until next time my friend.


.... and a little spec drawing that I work off of, courtesy of the club members.


No comments:

Post a Comment