Sunday, June 9, 2013

DAY 48 - short day, a little update


Due to the fact that I have been in an airport at least one weekend day for the past three months, today was a short day.  

The new center ankle mount plate caused the battery cages to sit differently, so I had to create new bolts for the outer stations.  The inner posts are really bolts shrouded in 1/2" aluminum tubing.  I did not have bolts long enough, so I used some couplers to extend the bolts into the cage.  Not all that pleased with the look, I picked up some 3/4" tubing that fits over the couplers.


Hey, if anything, I am an aesthete.  I really like the look, as it matched the support poles of the frame.  You can also see where I filled in the corners that were cut off.  I used the magic sculpt putty takes about way back in the early stages of this blog.  I will finish the corners of with a little condo and will most likely hit it with rub n buff to make it look like some kind of metal.


Bag-o-hinges with a lot of tiny, tiny hardware.


Each hinge is two pieces.


.... Held together with tiny bolts, small nuts and even smaller nylon inserts.


Where do these hinges go ?  These are the hinges for the top dome panels.  In my excitement of building the dome, I bonded the inner dome to the outer done a while back... Then I did some research and found that the hinges mount the same as the holo projectors - through the inner dome.  Apparently this is a tater common oversight, as I see a number of builders using jb weld to mount the hinges.


Darth Maul droid anyone ?


As with everything, tolerances are super tight.  The hinge clears the power rail by about 1/4".  As planed, or just lucky, I don't mind, as long as it works.

After the jb weld set, I tried out one of the panels with a little double sided tape.  ... Not one bit of success.  Like most of these things, there has got to be a sweet spot, where the parts just work.

I have not found that spot yet... On the side doors either ....


A couple do rare earth magnets glued to the cross bar of the dome.  This magnet holds the center panel on.  Like all rare earth magnets, it holds it extremely well.

Since jb weld has metal particulates in it, it was crazy spreading the product on the magnets, and watching it crawl along the surface.  It even weeks up on the top magnet, and I cleaned it off best I could before it set.

Not to worry. I will clean this area up after it has dried.


I have a couple of exciting items arriving this week.... Stay tuned to what goodies I will get myself wrapped up in next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment